Chakras are Energy Centers of the Body that Affect Behavior, Health
The throat chakra is the access way to the spiritual realms. It is where the voice of the higher self is heard. It is also related to hearing the voice of guides and angels.
This passageway to the higher self can be closed due to unprocessed grief. It can also be blocked due to repressed or unexpressed feelings of anger, frustration, or fear.
The functioning of the fifth chakra can be damaged by addictive behaviour and substance abuse that pass through the throat. Addictive behaviours such as drug or alcohol abuse as well as overeating and smoking can affect the energy flowing from the lower to the higher chakras.
Activities to Activate the Throat Chakra
Certain activities can be used to promote a healthy fifth chakra and can assist with healing issues related to an unbalanced chakra.
- Cranio-sacral therapy
- Qi gong
- Gargling with salt water
- Tai chi
- Journal writing
Crystals to Open the Fifth Chakra
Placing stones over the chakra point can help reinforce the qualities associated with a particular chakra. Crystals work through vibration to bring healing and balance. Blue stones can be placed on the fifth chakra above the sternal notch in the hollow of the throat:
- Turquoise is a green or blue stone and often veined. Turquoise enhances communication in the physical and spiritual realm. It is also a strengthening stone and can help alleviate self sabotage.
- Amazonite is a blue green stone. Amazonite has a filtering quality. On a mental level it can assist with intuition. This stone can heal and open the throat chakra and improve communication.
- Aquamarine is green-blue in color and is opaque in appearance. If placed near the throat chakra it is useful for thyroid issues and sore throats. Aquamarine can clear the throat chakra and assist with spiritual communication.
- Lapis is a deep blue stone flecked with gold. It is known for balancing the throat chakra. This stone can quickly release stress and bring peace. It can also be used to heighten psychic abilities and stimulate personal power.
- Blue Lace Agate has a soft energy and promotes free expression of thoughts and feelings. This stone is also know to neutralize anger, release infection, and help with fever. Blue lace agate is believed to be a powerful stone for healing the throat. The nature of counteracting repressed feelings also releases physical problems around the neck and throat area in relation to shoulder and neck problems, over and under active thyroid issues, as well as throat infections.
Throat Chakra Review
This chakra is associated with the color turquoise and blue stones are used in healing. It is considered the doorway to the higher realms and affects communication. On a physical level it is associated with issues around the throat such as thyroid and sore throats.
Emotionally, a blocked throat chakra represents repressed or unspoken feelings. Ambika Wauters in The Book of Chakras suggests asking yourself questions to bring this chakra into balance: “Do I say what I feel?” or “Do I judge others for how they feel?” or “Do I do what I say I will do?”